Scoreboard confusion reigns in reserves

Shannon BeattiePilbara News
A Swans player tries to get away from his Kats opponent.
Camera IconA Swans player tries to get away from his Kats opponent. Credit: Pilbara News, Shannon Beattie

Confusion muddled the end of the Kats verse Swans reserves semi final played at Wickham Oval on Saturday evening, but it was Karratha who walked away the victors.

At the end of the match, the scoreboard showed a draw between the two top placed teams, however an earlier point scored by the Kats which had not been put on the board meant a one-point victory for Karratha and a straight shot to the grand final.

The pressure from both teams started the second the siren sounded to start the game, with each team kicking 1.3 in the first term, meaning a draw at quarter time.

In the second quarter, the Kats were able to pull ahead, albeit it only slightly, kicking 3.3 in comparison to the Swans two goals for a seven-point lead at the major break.

Things went the other way in the third term with the Swans kicking 2.1 and the Kats only managing a goal, meaning it was a draw going in to the final quarter.

The Kats drew ahead in the last quarter, but with a few minutes left on the clock the Swans kicked a goal which brought them back to a draw, however according to the scoreboard, it looked like they were a point head.

A behind for the Kats with a minute left made it look like the scores were level again, but that point actually won Karratha the game, as a behind from earlier in the match had not gone up.

The final score was Kats 7.6 (48) to Swans 7.5 (47).

It took a few minutes after the match for the scores to be settled, but the celebrations soon commenced for the victorious Kats.

The Swans will play the Wolves at Wickham oval on Saturday to fight for their spot in the grand final.

Whilst the Kats get a week off to prepare for the ultimate match of the season on September 8 at Millars Well.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails