Karratha burglaries on decline as juveniles face court
Police believe they have made progress in quelling Karratha’s recent spate of burglaries.
There was a steep increase in the number of burglaries perpetrated in Karratha between Australia Day and Friday last week, during which break-ins rose by about 70 per cent on an average week.
However, Karratha police officer-in-charge Senior Sergeant Andy Stevens said the rate of break-ins had “slowed right down” since Friday, after all available police resources were assigned to the cases and two juveniles were arrested over some of the offences.
He said the result could be attributed to information from the public and good police work.
The two juveniles who have been charged had their first appearance in Karratha Children’s Court yesterday.
A 15-year-old boy who is facing 30 charges including 10 burglaries, one attempted burglary and 11 counts of stealing, has been remanded in custody.
He was also given an intensive supervision order for charges he was already on bail for at the time of the alleged offending.
The other teenager, also 15, whose charges include three aggravated burglaries and four counts of stealing, was released on bail with curfew conditions.
The boys were not required to enter pleas and are due to reappear before the children’s court on February 19.
Karratha police are still searching for other people they believe were involved in the recent spate of burglaries.
If you have any information, call Karratha police on 9143 7200.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails