Hungry Sharks shut down Rovers

Alicia PereraPilbara News
Rovers' Kieran Harding and Sharks' Guy Langdon go up for a mark.
Camera IconRovers' Kieran Harding and Sharks' Guy Langdon go up for a mark. Credit: Pilbara News, Alicia Perera

Coming off a middling 2016 season, the Dampier Sharks proved they are more than capable of being a threat in their round two thrashing of the Port Hedland Rovers on Saturday.

Playing at home at Windy Ridge Oval, Sharks dominated their opponents across the field and throughout the game on their way to a huge 91-point win.

The final score stood at 17.16 (118) to 4.3 (27).

The match began with North Pilbara Football League officials presenting main competition sponsor the Pilbara Ports Authority with a custom-made football to recognise its support.

A PPA staff member also officiated the coin toss.

Sharks dominated the first quarter with the ball barely leaving their forward half during the term.

Despite stop-start play they moved the ball well through the midfield and converted to rack up an early 28-point lead while holding their opponents scoreless by quarter-time.

Rovers made some progress in the second quarter when they scored two goals but they were unable to keep up with the Sharks’ pace as they kicked another five.

Play sped up and Sharks continued getting all the results on the scoreboard in the third term and while Port Hedland showed great work ethic and managed another two majors in the last quarter it was not enough to prevent the game ending as a bloodbath.

Sharks’ acting coach Ryan Hawke said it had been a stellar performance for his side.

“The highlight was a pretty good performance all over the ground,” he said.

“The midfield got it out of there pretty easily and the structures in the forward line were really good.”

“We didn’t do too much wrong, as you can see on the scoreboard.”

He singled out captain James Rhodes, Brennan Stewart and Michael Walsh as stand-out performers.

Among the Sharks’ long list of goal kickers were Stewart, who kicked four, and Shane Mcintosh and Michael Ballem with three each.

The Sharks also won their reserves match, 11.8 (74) to Rovers’ 6.4 (40). Despite a consistently solid effort from their opponents, the Sharks kicked away in the second quarter and kept the momentum going from there.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails