Containers for Change scheme start pushed back to October
The eagerly anticipated Containers for Change program has a new launch date after the initial start date was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Last week, the State Government announced an October 1 start for the program as well as a financial assistance package of up to $3.5 million to support network participants affected financially by deferral of the scheme.
The scheme was initially set to launch yesterday, but was postponed because of COVID-19.
North West Recycling is running the deposit scheme in Karratha, while in Port Hedland it is organised by Care for Hedland.
North West Recycling owner Jake Swaffer said it was good to have the new launch date.
“It gives us something to work towards and lets the community know when they can come and redeem some containers,” he said. Mr Swaffer said North West Recycling was three-quarters of the the way through construction but was on track for the October 1 start date.
“The delay caused a lot of issues,” he said.
“All the money we put in from our savings and super, and now we’ve got to pay interest on those loans for another six months.”
Environment Minister Stephen Dawson said the launch date had to be delayed because of COVID-19, a decision that was supported by the community, scheme co-ordinator and public health advice.
“West Australians have been telling us they are ready and willing to get involved in a cash-for-cans scheme; they want to recycle right and they want to ensure less beverage containers end up in landfill,” he said
The funding would be available until the scheme launched on October 1.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails