Qld hospital not treating virus cases
Queensland's second-largest hospital hasn't treated a coronavirus patient for more than a month after an outbreak was traced to its infectious diseases ward.
Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane has been locked down twice in recent months due to two separate COVID-19 outbreaks in the city.
The most recent outbreak, in late March, involved two virus clusters that were traced to a doctor and three nurses who were treating coronavirus patients in the hospital's Ward 5D.
The ward was shut on March 30 as the two clusters linked to it ballooned to 23 cases across Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Bundaberg, Gladstone and Toowoomba.
Those clusters triggered a snap three-day lockdown of Greater Brisbane last month.
Metro South Health said the hospital still isn't treating coronavirus patients more than a month after the recent outbreak.
"No COVID-19 patients are currently being treated at PAH," a spokesperson told AAP on Friday.
The inability of the hospital to treat COVID-19 patients puts increased pressure on the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, the state's largest, in the city's north.
Ward 5D has been deep-cleaned at least twice since it was shut more than five weeks ago.
Metro South Health said an engineering report on the ward was being prepared and was expected to be completed in the coming week.
"Once the report has been received, the health service will assess any recommendations within the report to determine the direction forward," the spokesperson said.
"The closure of Ward 5D, which is a 24-bed ward, has resulted in a need to establish areas within the hospital to treat the patients who would normally be treated in this ward, which does have impacts on the hospital."
Meanwhile, anyone in Queensland who has been to Sydney's coronavirus exposure sites has been ordered into quarantine.
Those coming by plane to the state are being questioned about their movements upon arrival.
Anyone in Queensland who has been in NSW since April 27 is also being urged to get tested if they develop symptoms.
Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said Queenslanders should reconsider their need to travel to Sydney.
Meanwhile, two new coronavirus cases - both in hotel quarantine - were reported on Friday.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails