A Karratha teenager has pleaded guilty to a violent machete attack in the Pilbara where he hacked at a man’s face, head, arms and hands while his victim was sleeping. On Wednesday, Ben Justin Errington entered the plea to one count of grievous bodily harm in Stirling Gardens Magistrates Court. The admission came after the State discontinued the attempted murder charge he had been facing and replaced it with a lesser offence. The backflip is the second of its kind since the 18-year-old was charged over the Bulgarra attack. At the time of his arrest, police charged Errington with one count of grievous bodily harm; however, soon after, the offence was replaced with attempted murder. Errington attacked the sleeping man in a Bulgarra home with a machete in the early hours of March 5, causing potentially life-changing injuries. It is understood the 24-year-old had had a group of people over for a party at his Withnell Way home the night of the attack and that some of the revellers had stayed the night. The man fell asleep on the couch and woke up to Errington hacking at him with a large blade. The man suffered severe wounds to his head, face and arm and was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital. Police at the time said the man had suffered extremely serious injuries. “He is very lucky to be alive considering his injuries,” officer-in-charge of Karratha detectives Jason Blaine said in March. At a previous hearing, the court was told his injuries were so serious he required ongoing rehabilitation for broken bones and had suffered potentially permanent nerve damage in his arms and hands. Errington, granted bail and released from Roebourne Regional Prison shortly after the attack, must report to Gosnells Police Station as part of his bail conditions and is not allowed to leave WA. He is back in court in January and will be sentenced later next year.